| Main | Content | Activity | Links & Resources | FAQ | Feedback |
Because you may know a lot about your property, you can help your forester prepare for a timber harvest. As you read this chapter, we identify various items you may want to discuss with or tell your forester about your woodland. We have also included some frequently asked questions for various sections.
Read the sections on Safety and Timber Harvesting Guidelines on Page 116. Ask your forester about best management practices for timber harvesting which are most relevant for your timber sale. Based on your knowledge of your property, can you provide any of the following for your forester?
- Map of your property (hand drawn or otherwise)
- Names and addresses of adjacent landowners (to check for boundary lines)
- Where are the boundary lines and how are they marked? Who marked them?
- Documentation that you have paid your property taxes
- Where any of the following items are located on your property:
- Buildings, stone walls, fences, barb wire, gates, or other structures
- Deer stands or places where you have put nails, wire, or other objects in trees
- Steep areas
- Water such as streams, wetlands, seeps, or springs
- Existing trails, stream or wetland crossings
- Weak soils
- Open areas on firm soil and relatively level ground which might be used as a landing
- Unique plants or wildlife
- Any known cultural resources, such as old wells, home foundations, etc.
- Areas where you donít want any harvesting activity to occur
Now that you have read the chapter, make sure that you ask your forester the following questions.
- Which guidelines do they recommend for your woodland?
- Which timber harvesting system(s) is most appropriate for your land and objectives?
- Where would they recommend the transportation infrastructure be located? Consider how that location serves other useful purposes you may have after a harvest.
- Which types of harvesting equipment may be most appropriate on your property?
- What would they recommend be done with the slash and stumps following a harvest?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of Forest Certification? Which types of certification are offered in your area? Is certification appropriate for your property?