Why Harvest Timber?
Harvesting is an important timber management tool. You may decide to harvest timber for a variety of reasons, including to:
- Improve the health and vigor of the forest.
- Promote natural regeneration.
- Control stand density.
- Release an established understory from competing overstory trees.
- Develop wildlife habitat.
- Alter the species composition of the forest.
- Establish planting areas.
- Create vistas.
- Clear trails.
- Take advantage of the timber’s considerable monetary value to produce periodic or emergency income.
- Salvage its monetary value following damage by ice or snowstorms, high winds, fire,insects, or diseases.
- Clear the land for other purposes.